What you need to know about Utility & Sewer Service in Lake Lure:
- Water and sewer bills are sent out between the 10th and 15th of the month.
- Payment is due by the 10th of the following month.
- Payments made by mail must be post-marked by the 10th of the month; direct payment must be in the municipal center/town hall by close of business on the 10th of the month. If the 10th of the month falls on a weekend or holidays, then payment will not be due until the following Monday.
- The actual due date is indicated on your utility bill.
- If payment is not received by the 10th, a delinquency notice is issued approximately ten days later.
- The penalty for delinquencies is a $25 fee added to the past due balance. This penalty may be waived by the town manager not more than once per year due to extenuating circumstances preventing the prompt payment of a utility bill. To receive a waiver, the customer must submit a request in writing within 30 days of the date the payment was due explaining the extenuating circumstances.
- If you dispute the accuracy of your bill, you may stop in to Town Hall or send in a letter.
- If payment is not made within ten days of a delinquency notice, then service will be discontinued until your past due charges are paid. At that time, an additional re-connection charge in the amount of $200 will be levied. Please note that the re-connection fee of $200 is per service. Additionally, the Town will place liens on the property involved if the delinquency extends beyond 90 days. In addition to being responsible for all outstanding debt, the customer will also be charged for any necessary legal fees incurred by the Town.
- With regard to property owners of rental units, please note that property owners who wish to keep water and sewer accounts in their own name are ultimately responsible for any unpaid balances due to the Town. Alternatively, your renters may also complete an application for utilities in their own name by paying the $150 deposit. This would make your renters responsible for any unpaid balances.
Lake Lure Sewer System:
- Users of the sewer system are reminded that it is unlawful to discharge surface water or roof drainage into the sewer line. It is critical that this type of water flow cease since excess water in the system causes the filtration process to malfunction.
- When selling a home, water and sewer customers are responsible for notifying the Town of the new owner’s name and address.